At Charlotte Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, we love sharing important dental research and knowledge with our patients. Dr. Patrick J. Broome, DMD, is an experienced Charlotte cosmetic dentist whose focus is helping patients achieve the smile makeover of their dreams. But did you know that Dr. Broome is also a laser dentistry instructor who helps dental professionals learn to use state-of-the-art BIOLASE technology in their own practices?
Things You Didn’t Know About Teeth
In the spirit of sharing knowledge, we thought our Charlotte dental patients might enjoy these 10 surprising dental facts:
- Toothbrushes must be stored at least six feet away from your toilet. Anything closer will allow airborne waste particles to reach your clean bristles.
- Do you cap your toothbrush in an effort to keep it clean? Tough luck. This practice may cause more bacterial growth due to moisture development inside the toothbrush cover.
- The first toothbrush was crafted in China in 1948. Unlike the current toothbrush made of nylon and polyester, it was made with hair from hogs, horses and badgers. Yum!
- Americans apparently think less of their teeth than their hair. According to data, Americans spend $100 billion per annum on hair care products but only $2 billion on dental care products.
- Remember the maxim “See your dentist twice a year”? It was actually created by an ad agency for Pepsodent toothpaste. You should actually stick to your dentist’s recommendation on your dental visits. You may need to visit more often, particularly if you are at risk for gum disease or tooth decay.
- Sore jaw and chest pain? Rush to the hospital. Did you know that a sore jaw and chest pain may signal an oncoming heart attack, particularly for women?
- Those who suffer from periodontitis (advanced gum disease) are twice as susceptible to coronary artery disease than those free of gum disease. Treat your teeth well and your heart health will follow!
- Although flossing is extremely important, most people don’t make it a priority. According to some studies, proper flossing should require about 122 yards of floss per year per person. However, the average individual only uses 18 yards per year.
- Bottoms up! Red wine contains proanthocyanidins which have strong antioxidant properties. However, we suggest patients drink red wine in moderation because it also stains teeth. Brushing immediately after drinking red wine can reduce stain build-up. You can also use touch-up whiting gel.
- An apple a day keeps the dentist away! Apples, carrots, cucumber, and other firm or crisp raw fruits and vegetables help clean your teeth while you chew.
About Our Charlotte Dental Office
If you are anything less than 100% satisfied with your smile, why not learn more about our full mouth rejuvenation and smile makeover programs? Dr. Broome is ready to help you smile with confidence and pride. Simply call us at (704) 364-4711 for more information scheduling your consultation at Charlotte Center for Cosmetic Dentistry.
Next, read about our Professional Teeth Whitening in Charlotte.Interested
in Learning More?Email us today!