Longing for a straighter smile without the clunky wire and bands of traditional metal braces? No matter what stage of life you’re in, you deserve a comfortable and convenient way to create a straight, stunning smile.
Invisalign®, the virtually undetectable modern approach to teeth straightening, is a great cosmetic dentistry option for teens and adults in Charlotte, NC looking to straighten their teeth with minimal interference to their daily lives.
Invisalign is an example of how dental technology has improved the way cosmetic dentistry is practiced and is a popular service offered at Charlotte Center for Cosmetic Dentistry. Cosmetic dentist, Dr. Patrick Broome offers expert consultations and cutting-edge dentistry services, such as digital x-rays and laser dentistry, to ensure an efficient and effective appointment every time. Call or schedule an appointment online today to see if Invisalign teeth straightening in Charlotte is right for you.
"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a frown and have wrinkles!"
What Is Invisalign?Invisalign is an innovative approach to straightening teeth that uses a custom-made series of clear plastic aligners. The aligners are crafted of comfortable, smooth, and virtually invisible BPA-free material that fits closely around your teeth. Invisalign designs treatment to correct misaligned teeth, slowly moving them into proper alignment and producing an improved smile at the end of the treatment period.
Features of InvisalignDentists use Invisalign to resolve several orthodontic issues. Invisalign can fix:
- Crooked teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Open bite
- Gaps in teeth
What are the Benefits of Invisalign?
- It is virtually invisible – perfect for teens who are self-conscious about their appearance and for adults who want to maintain a professional image.
- More comfortable than braces – metal brackets can be irritating while custom aligners feel smoother and more comfortable against the cheeks and tongue.
- Allows for better dental hygiene compared to braces – brushing teeth with traditional braces can be challenging which increases the likelihood of bacteria and plaque buildup around the braces. This makes teeth prone to gum diseases and tooth decay. Since Invisalign can be removed before eating or brushing, keeping the teeth clean is easier to achieve.
- No dietary restrictions – Invisalign users can continue eating hard and crunchy foods such as nuts, pretzels, and apples. These foods are typically avoided with traditional braces since they may cause the wires to snap. This means patients can straighten their teeth without compromising their enjoyment of food.
Candidates for InvisalignMost patients who desire to have straighter teeth but prefer their cosmetic treatment to be discreet as well as those who have the discipline to wear the aligners throughout the treatment period constantly are good candidates for Invisalign. However, Invisalign is better suited for older teens and adults because their jaws are already fully developed. Furthermore, adults are generally more dedicated to the program, which is required for its success. Invisalign can resolve a wide variety of orthodontic concerns. The best way to determine your eligibility is to schedule a consultation with our office. We can an array of digital imagine to evaluate your case and determine if Invisalign is the best treatment choice for you.
How Invisalign Works in Charlotte
An expert cosmetic dentist like Dr. Broome in Charlotte makes special impressions and takes digital photos of your teeth, which are sent off to the Align facility. There, a sophisticated virtual model of your teeth is created. Dr. Broome will review the virtual models and if you are a good candidate, custom design a set of strong, clear aligners to begin the teeth straightening process and transform your smile.
You will wear your custom-made aligners for 20-22 hours a day and receive an updated aligner every one to two weeks until the treatment is complete.
Invisalign vs. BracesWhile both Invisalign and braces are effective methods for straightening and aligning your teeth, the treatment process is different, and the types of orthodontic problems they can correct will vary. Let’s take a look at their pros and cons. Invisalign Pros:
- Virtually invisible
- Comfortable to wear
- Dental hygiene is better
- Requires discipline – while having removable trays sounds convenient, removing them too frequently means the treatment time will take longer. Results, therefore, may not be as effective compared to braces which are worn all the time.
- Not suitable for everyone – Invisalign is best for older teens and adults with minor orthodontic problems.
- Highly effective – braces are fixed and forces applied to teeth can be higher. It makes for an effective treatment no matter how complex the case.
- Shorter treatment time – since you cannot remove braces, this means that some cases may have shorter treatment time.
- Aesthetics – since the wires are very visible, those who wear braces often feel self-conscious about their appearance.
- Dental hygiene is a challenge – it is harder to keep the teeth clean when wearing braces. Brushing and flossing become more difficult and failing to remove plaque buildup can lead to tooth decay, staining, and gum disease.
- Restricted diet – those wearing braces are on a restricted diet, so they don’t risk snapping any wires. Gum, popcorn, chips, nuts, and chewy candy have to be avoided.
The Invisalign Process at the Charlotte CosmeticYour Invisalign journey begins with a consultation with Dr. Broome. You will discuss the goals you have for your smile and Dr. Broome will suggest the best options for achieving them. Digital scans of your teeth are obtained at the New Patient Expereince visit and the digital scans are sent to Align for virtual treatment planning. Dr. Broome designs a custom plan for your new smile. Once approved, Align manufactures a series of aligners that will be used to progressively move your teeth to a better position. You will wear your custom-made aligners for 22-23 hours a day. We use virtual check-ins for progress checks so we can eliminate office visits and keep you on track. This will help Dr. Broome monitor your treatment and ensure everything is proceeding according to plan. After your treatment is complete, you will receive retainers that maintain the new position and prevent shifting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How often do I need to wear my aligners?
A: It is recommended that you wear your aligners for 20-22 hours per day and only remove them for eating, flossing, and brushing.
Q: How are the aligners made?
A: Once you've decided to undergo treatment in our Charlotte office, we will take impressions and photos that will be sent to the Align lab. There, Align technology will scan the impressions into a computer and create a sequence of aligners designed to move your teeth in one to two-week intervals into the desired position.Q: How much is Invisalign? A: The complexity of movement is the main factor that determines the fee. Typical fee range is $4,500–$8,500.
Q: Does insurance cover Invisalign for teeth straightening?
A: In general, if a patient in Charlotte has orthodontic coverage, Invisalign should be covered to the same extent as conventional braces. Most insurance plans that cover orthodontics will provide up to a specified maximum towards your treatment cost.
Q: Will wearing Invisalign aligners affect my speech?
A: Clear aligners may temporarily affect the speech of some people, and you may have a slight lisp for a day or two. However, as you get used to having aligners in your mouth, any lisp caused by the aligners should disappear.
Q: Do clear aligners really work for teeth straightening?
A: Yes! Over 1.5 million patients with a wide variety of dental challenges have been treated with Invisalign. Invisalign was developed with orthodontists and is used in dental practices worldwide.